Reid Travel consultants have extensive travel experience as well as several industry accreditations. Signature connections and long-term alliances allow our agents to provide unprecedented value and exclusive experiences. Let us pull some strings to reserve the world for you.
Reid Travel's seasoned and knowledgeable professionals have personally visited every part of the globe. Reid experts have planned and guided clients on one-of-a-kind trips since 1972. Draw on our extensive resources and expertise and explore the world with confidence.
Sign-up to receive travel updates, exclusive offers and a chance to win a trip for two!
Italy. It has been several years since a river cruise was offered on the Po River in Italy. For 2013, boutique cruise line Uniworld is returning to this route through Italy's rich history of food, wine and the arts. The itinerary includes visits to Venice, Bologna, Ravenna, Padua and Verona with extensions offered to Rome and Florence. Bellisimo!
Silversea. Reid Travel has partnered with Silversea Cruises to offer exclusive savings to our clients on four 2013 sailings including the Med, the Black Sea, the British Isles and Alaska. This offer is combinable with shipboard credit from American Express Platinum/centurion. Give us a call!
Egypt. The Tourism office has announced an exciting advance in Nile River cruising. The portion of the river from Cairo to Luxor which has been off-limits to overnight passenger vessels is now open due to lengthy irrigation projects. This 465 mile stretch now enables the traveler to board in Cairo and sail all the way to Aswan and to eliminate the flight from Cairo to Luxor. One caveat - many more days are needed to complete this itinerary. But there is something to be said for playing Cleopatra on a luxurious river boat. Bring on the feather fans!
Tips for keeping data costs low while traveling.
1. Purchase a roaming plan. If you get an international plan with your service provider you receive discounted by-the-minute rates on phone calls and the ability to use data without extra charges.
2. Maximize your Wi-Fi. If you do not purchase a roaming plan, put your phone on airplane mode and turn on your Wi-Fi. If free hotspots are scarce, try Boingo Wireless (from $7.95 per month) or a router from FDN ($49) to access thousands of free and paid Wi-Fi zones worldwide. There is also a portable hotspot device available from Verizon or XCom Global.
3. Get a local phone or SIM card. If you have an unlocked GSM phone you can buy a SIM card and put it into the phone. Or buy a simple local phone with prepaid credit (around $30; $3 per day for data plans). You can also rent a phone with a data plan before you go at fonerent.com (starting at $9 per week; $5 per 100 MB).
Before Thomas Jefferson took office people
bowed to the president, rather than shaking
From the desk of Julia Shore ...
South Africa is Calling...
South Africa, with stunning variety of spectacular natural environments, exotic wildlife, award-winning vineyards, historic townships, uniquely sophisticated cities, world-renowned cuisine, and lively culture is a destination that appeals to old, young and those in between.
Johannesburg is the gateway to South Africa and a thrilling metropolis. This former gold-rush town suffered in the aftermath of apartheid, but the revitalization that came with South Africa's hosting of the soccer World Cup in 2010 has blossomed. With a major face-lift of the city's infrastructure, Johannesburg is showing off its virtues and overcoming its vices. Parts of Johannesburg's once-decrepit inner city have turned into vital gathering places, including an old parking garage that now houses a food and fashion market. Within easy reach from Johannesburg, in northwest is one of the largest "malaria-free" game reserves, Medike. Old cattle ranches were successfully restored to natural vegetation and an extensive restocking was undertaken to bring back game species that historically occurred in the region, the big five. (Elephant, Rhino, Leopard, Lion, Buffalo). Another unique safari experience in a "malaria-free" environment is the Shamwari game reserve, known for its luxurious lodges along the garden route and just a short drive from Port Elizabeth in Eastern Cape.
Book now and receive a ChoiceAir Credit of up to $2,000 per couple on select Asia Sailings in 2013. Here are some of Reid's picks of the Asia itineraries:
14-night Discovering Vietnam & Thailand departing February 20, 2013. Beginning in Singapore and ending in Hong Kong, China with multiple overnights in Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi.
14-night Victoria Harbour to Beijing departing March 6, 2013. Beginning in Hong Kong, China and ending in Beijing , China with overnight in Hong Kong, Shanghai and Kobe.
Sweet Chipotle Snack Mix
A great snack for TV and football games!
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 large egg white
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup unsalted cashews
1 cup unsalted pumpkin seed kernels
1. Preheat oven to 325
2. Combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk
3. Place egg white in a large bowl; stir with a whisk until foamy. Add the almonds, cashews, and pumpkin seeds; toss well to coat. Sprinkle with spice mixture; toss well to coat. Spread nuts in an even layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 325 for 15 minutes, stirring once. Turn oven off. Remove pan from oven; stir snack mix. Immediately return pan to oven for an additional 15 minutes (leave oven off). Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack; cool completely. Store snack mix in an airtight container for up to two weeks.